We used meringue in a lot of our recipes, but what is it like when we eat it alone?
When I had my first taste of meringue I thought I had screwed up badly. Why did it taste like marshmallow but feel like taffy? According to my (briefly) culinary school brother, that is exactly what a meringue should taste like. I looked at him funny and went “Ok… you have a piece,” then he complained about the colour. There is just no pleasing the guy.
3 egg whites
1⁄4 cream of tartar
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup sugar
1) Preheat oven to 350° Fahrenheit.
2) Beat the egg whites till frothy, add cream of tartar and vanilla.
3) Beat till soft peaks form, slowly add the sugar.
4) Beat until stiff peaks form.
5) Spoon the mixture onto a piece of greased parchement paper.
6) Bake for 30-40 minutes.