Hello Everyone! This week Curiosity brings you CREME BRULEE!!
There will and was only one reason that I would make me take on creme brulee so early in my practically infant baking experience, and that would be my best friend. No, she has not been on Curiosity… maybe one day ( if I can convince her). But let’s continue!
For my best friend of 20 years, I make Creme Brulee! So TK if you are seeing this… THIS IS A BELATED HAPPY BIRTHDAY FROM CURIOSITY!!
150 g milk
250 g heavy cream
4 egg yolks
60 g sugar
2 tsp vanilla
1 pinch salt
Equal parts brown sugar to white sugar
eg. 1 tsp brown sugar and 1 tsp. white sugar
mixing bowl (if you do not have proper mixing bowls, use a pot so that nothing flies through your kitchen)
1) Mix egg yolks with sugar
2) Heat the milk and heavy cream. Stir constantly. (As soon as you see bubbling remove from heat)
3) Add the salt and vanilla.
4) Preheat oven to 325° Fahrenheit.
5) Strain the milk and heavy cream mixer before tempering it into the yolks.
6) Strain the entire mixture into ramekins. Prepare a hot water bath.
7) Bake in the hot water bath for 25 minutes.
8) Let it cool completely before letting it cool in the fridge for 2 hrs – overnight. (This part is where you find out if you made the creme brulee properly. If it hasn’t set by the time you pull it out of the fridge, it will never set.
9) Mix the brown sugar and white sugar together. Pour onto the top of the ramekin, make sure it is coated before continuing to next.
* two methods in achieving the crispy sugar coating, 1) Torch 2) Oven.
Please refer to my video for both methods.